Pourquoi faire un don à Death Penalty Worldwide?
Your donation saves lives.
The Cornell Center on the Death Penalty Worldwide produces groundbreaking research on capital punishment around the world, advocates on behalf of the most vulnerable prisoners, and trains attorneys to represent indigent people facing capital charges.
Since the Center’s launch in 2016, our work has saved lives. We have:
- helped secure the release of 134 people sentenced to death in Malawi;
- trained hundreds of African attorneys on best practices for death penalty representation;
- persuaded policy makers that women facing the death penalty have experienced intersectional discrimination and trauma that must be taken into account in capital sentencing.
But there’s still so much to do.
In the coming year, the Center plans to:
- Represent vulnerable women around the world facing the death penalty, bringing strategic litigation on the issue of gender-based violence.
- Assist death row clients in Tanzania to bring their cases before the African Court on Human and Peoples’ rights.
- Support Kenya’s new taskforce to resentence more than 8,000 death row prisoners after the Supreme Court ruled that courts must take account of their life circumstances in deciding on the appropriate sentence.
Our Center relies on the generosity of grant-making foundations and generous individuals like you to make our programs possible. Thank you for your support.